1. Soak the beans the night before in a large bowl of water with a teaspoon of baking soda.
2. The next day, drain the beans and rinse them with water.
3. Peel the carrots and cut them into small cubes. They should not be bigger than the beans. Also cut a celery stalk into small pieces.
4. Put the vegetables in a pot with the beans, bay leaves, cumin and salt and cook them for about 45-60 minutes until soft. During this process, foam could form, which you should skim off from time to time.
5. Allow the beans and vegetables to cool for about 30 minutes in the open pot and then strain them.
6. Remove the bay leaves.
7. For the dressing: Peel the shallots, cut them in half and then into fine dices. Mix them in a small bowl with the juice of one lemon and 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and let the shallots steep for at least 30 minutes. Then stir in the freshly ground pepper and 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
8. Dice the pointed pepper and the second celery stalk.
9. Peel the apple and cut it into small cubes as well.
10. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl with the drained bean vegetables, add the dressing and put the salad in a cold place for at least 1 hour.
11. Just before serving, add chopped parsley and arugula to the salad and season with salt and white pepper.